Glossary of Terms

ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder: pretty self explanatory really (includes Aspergers).

SI - Special Interest: a subject that an Aspie finds almost obsessively fascinating.

NT - Neuro-Typical: someone who is not on the Autistic Spectrum.

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: a mental health problem characterised by repetitive or obsessive behaviour in response to particular events or situations.

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Alternative Therapies: Reflexology

I have very little time for the majority of alternative therapies; at the very least I am a sceptic. I like to think that I am open minded, but when people rave about homeopathy, acupuncture or reiki, I am ashamed to say that my mind becomes more closed than North Korea. I have tried hypnotherapy before but the effects were limited to the degree that I had no idea if there were any; on top of that  it cost an arm and a leg and so that therapy went out of the window pretty quickly. Reiki too did absolutely bugger all. I have a fear of needles, so acupuncture seems about as appealing as swimming with Great White sharks. Have you ever heard of urine therapy? No? Then it’s probably for the best as it is about as gross as the name would imply (I didn’t even consider trying that one for even a second; google it and you’ll see why).

It was with these opinions that I decided to give reflexology a whirl. I had just finished university and a lifetime in full-time education and entering the world of career first. Perhaps not surprisingly I had a nervous breakdown. I was prepared to leap on any opportunity to relieve the physically exhausting anxiety that didn’t involve illegal substances, alcohol or any of the therapies that I have been bad-mouthing above. A friend of my mum’s had been having reflexology for years and suggested it for me. No matter how weird the therapy is, there is always someone who swears by it (magnet therapy anybody?!?). However I knew this lady well and trust her and decided that I’d give it a go.

Several years later and I now feel that I have done it enough to confirm that it does actually help to reduce anxiety; well, at least for me it does. Maybe it’s the opportunity to take the weight off your feet for a bit whilst someone massages them than anything to do with energy lines or channels. The science certainly seems to suggest that this is the case. I now feel comfortable around my reflexologist and she acts as a sort of agony aunt, which I suppose could help too. I suggest trying a couple of sessions and seeing if you feel any different because if there’s a chance that it could help you deal with the negative aspects of being an Aspie, then it is worth a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment