Glossary of Terms

ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder: pretty self explanatory really (includes Aspergers).

SI - Special Interest: a subject that an Aspie finds almost obsessively fascinating.

NT - Neuro-Typical: someone who is not on the Autistic Spectrum.

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: a mental health problem characterised by repetitive or obsessive behaviour in response to particular events or situations.

Sunday 18 September 2011

Earth Abides

“A mysterious plague has destroyed the vast majority of the human race. Isherwood Williams returns from a wilderness field trip to discover that civilization has vanished during his absence. Eventually, in San Francisco, he encounters a female survivor who becomes his wife. Around them and their children a small community develops, but rebuilding civilization is beyond their resources, and gradually they return to a simpler way of life”.

So reads the back of the Sci-Fi Masterworks edition of “Earth Abides” by George R. Stewart.


 You might be wondering why I am looking at a book in one of my posts, but bear with me, there is method to my madness (or at least I hope there is!). This is an important book to me and undoubtedly one of the best that I have read. I found myself identifying very strongly with the protagonist Isherwood Williams, or Ish as he becomes known. At first I couldn’t work out why I felt such a connection, but then all the pieces started to come together. Ish seems to be an Aspie. I don’t know if this was intended, but it certainly seems to be the case. Without wishing to give away any of the plot I will give the reasons why I believe that Ish is an Aspie:

  1. Ish doesn’t really like being around other people and he prefers being on his own, hence his  wilderness trip.
  2. Ish has an SI in the form of Ecology i.e. the relationship between living things and between them and their environment.
  3. He prefers to observe rather than participate. 
  4. Is adversely affected by any change (anyone would be forgiven for being adversely affected by a civilisation destroying plague!).
  5. Social constructions such as racism mean nothing to him. He sees the world in a different way than those around him.
Individually they don’t really mean that much, but when taken together they certainly seem to suggest that Ish really was an Aspie. I often wonder if it was because Stewart himself might have been and that he might have been ‘gifting it’ to his protagonist. Who knows, but it would be nice if it were so…

    No comments:

    Post a Comment